McAlear wrote about Dayton: When Uncle Sam established a post office at Dayton on November 6, 1893, and appointed Clarence E. Proctor the first postmaster, the site was just off the reservation limits. Soon after this, Jake Knerr and Charles Frost bought the store from Proctor, and Charles became the postmaster. Frost and Knerr asked for a permit to move the store and post office a few feet to the southeast, and they received permission to do so. When they got the building on wheels, they moved it over two miles to the present site of Dayton, which is inside the reservation boundaries. They took the Dayton name with them. The original Dayton was renamed Proctor.
According to Dayton student writer Wesley Targerson: The deer and later cattle came in large herds to feed and eat along the shore of Flathead Lake on land specially important to the Kootenai Indians who held their sun dances there. Dayton in 1910 had many new businesses and looked like a young city. There was the Dayton Mercantile with a bank in the rear, a post office, a hotel, a feed and livery barn, a meat market, and a lumber yard. Dayton also had a pool and dance hall and a grocery store with a photography shop on the top floor. There was a drug store with apartments above in a building next to the Dayton Mercantile. The weekly newspaper was called The Dayton Leader. All the stores except the hotel and meat market were at different times destroyed by fire. A general store was rebuilt on the site of the Dayton Mercantile. The hotel was torn down.
Dayton School District #38 was created September 1, 1910 in Flathead County. The first recorded Trustee appointment was September 1910. First trustees were: Levi Walker, Thomas Reed, and Charles Frost who appointed Mrs. E. A. Steere to serve as district clerk. The first teacher of record is Anna M. Clements teaching the 1910-1911 school year. Early Proctor teacher, Frankie Thompson Proud, wrote that: Dayton was quite a thriving little hamlet in those days. It had . . . a church where school was held until the schoolhouse was finished. The present school and church were two of the first substantial buildings to be built. According to student research Dayton School is the oldest continuously operational school in the state. It was built in 1911. An addition was built in the early 1950s; new siding was installed and electricity was added otherwise the school has changed very little and serves the Upper West Shore Elementary School District #33 daily.
Dayton Student Register 1913-14 with G. H. Davey Teacher:
Grade 1: Roy Johnson, Dwight Smith; Grade 2: Omer Jacobs, Larry Smith, Victor Sheman, Vere Olin, Bertha Koisti, Amy Johnson; Grade 4: Leo Norberg, Charles Koisti, Ida Koisti, Mary Koisti, Gladys Frygstad, Gladys Caips; Grade 5: Lee Masterson, Floyd Smith, Laila Frygstad, Vivian Jansen, Genie Jacobs, Helen Eayrs; Grade 6: Floyd Kurbeck, Alvin Underhill, Jesse Eayers; Grade 7: Errol Jump, Justin Whitehaus, Helen Nowlan, Janice Black, Marie Meuli; Grade 8: William Lilly, Marion Norberg, Birdie Reed, Grace Reed, Lula Underhill, Ella Smith, Irene Nowlan
Dayton Student Register 1914-15 with Teachers Irene Russell & Mrs. Alice Bagley - Lower Grades
Grade 1: John Koisti, Ray Lynn, Stella Ober, Ruth Lynn, Vivian Lynn, Helen Evanson, Ruth Pibel; Grade 2: Ralph Elgie, Roy Johnson, William Pibel; Grade 3: Victor Sherman, Omer Jacobs, Herbert Pibel, Bertha Koisti, Amy Johnson, Grace Elgie; Grade 5: Gladys Trygstad, Ida Koisti, Mary Koisti; Grade 6: Lee Masterson, Genie Jacobs
Upper Grades with Teacher A. W. Bagley
Grade 7: Alvin Underhill, Floyd Hurlbutt; Grade 8: Errol Jump, Justin Whitehaus, Janise Black, Helen Norvlan, Velma Jacobs, Marie Meuli; Grade 9: William Lilly, Irene Nowlan, Celia Jump, Birdie Reed, Lula Underhill
Dayton Student Register 1915-16 with Cynthia Squires Teacher
Grade 1: Hans Pederson, Eida Proud; Grade 2: John Koisti, Harry Dwelle, Stella Ober; Grade 3: Ray Johnson, Bertha Koisti, Amy Johnson; Grade 4: Amer Jacobs; Grade 5: Cecil Robertson, Ida Koisti, Mary Koisti, Thelma Dwelle, Eva Barnes; Grade 7: Lee Masterson, Winfred Bains, Regina Best, Jennie Jacobs, Hazel Barnes; Grade 8: Errol Jump, Floyd Hurlbutt, Justin Whitehaus, Alvin Underhill, Leslle Williams, Edith Smith, Laura Hawkins; No grade listed: Ralph Barnes (age 8)
Both Eida and Daryl went to school in Dayton all eight grades, then to high school in Polson. Before they had finished school in Dayton, we had dry weather and poor crops. So we had a sale of machinery and livestock and moved to Dayton where I went to work at the Dayton Trading Company store and in the post office which was in the back of the store.[Frankie Proud]
Dayton Student Register 1916-1917 with Mrs. Irene Russell Teacher
Grade 1: Hans Pederson, Lila Johnson, Mary Baberich, Lawrence Frame, Olive Mock; Grade 2: Eida Proud; Grade 3: Harry Dwelle, John Koisti, Wendell Hass, James Mock, Stella Ober, Mollie Williams; Grade 4: Ray Johnson, Allen Frame, Amy Johnson, Bertha Koisti; Grade 6: Cecil Robertson, Omas Jacobs, Harold Prouty, Albert Frame, Thelma Dwelle, Mary Koisti, Ida Koisti; Grade 7: Marguerite Baberich; Grade 8: Merton Miller, Floyd Hurlbutt, Leo Baberivck, Genie Jacobs, Laurence Windsor
Dayton Student Register 1917-18 with M. P. Elder Teacher
Grade 1: Sandford Elder (transferred), Oscar Johnson, Charles Meuli, Harold Pederson, Lily Johnson, Iris Lozier, Gladys Walker; Grade 2: Hans Peterson, Lyle Hunter; Grade 3: Robert Ogden (transferred), Eida Proud; Grade 4: Harry Dwelle, Wendell Hoas (dropped), John Koisti, Stella Ober; Grade 5: Ray Johnson, Amy Johnson, Bertha Koisti; Grade 7: Omer Jacobs, Cecil Robertson (dropped), Thelma Dwelle, Ida Koisti (dropped), Mary Koisti; Grade 8: Genie Jacobs (transferred), Laurene Windsor (transferred)
In the spring of 1925 when Flathead County Superintendent of Schools Marguerite Hyde visited her schools she came out of the Big Draw with burned out Model T brakes. They stopped in Dayton, "an up and coming town" to get the brakes fixed and went on visiting the schools on the way back to Kalispell. McAlear wrote in Fabulous Flathead:
The water front was alive with activity as grain, livestock, and freight moved in and out of the docks on the steamers. Then the dry years of the twenties and thirties hit, and took their toll in Dayton. The town had more than its share of bad fires, and where there had once been a thriving business, there remained ashes.
In the 1930's Rose Ober, later Schultz, walked clear down from Black Lake to attend first grade with Ruth Babcock Guinn teaching. She thinks she only had to walk about half of the school year. Her family moved to Black Lake from Des Moines, Iowa in 1927 and two of her sisters, Esther and Virginia, attended Dayton since then.
By the time of the 1935 Flathead Reservation Report by Branson, the Dayton school had 17 white students and no Indian students. Rosella Engdahl was the teacher. Rosie Ober should have been in seventh grade that year, but had to quit most of the year because of tonsilitis. Rose took seventh grade in 1936-37 with Iris Smith, later Hawkins, the following year. Iris Smith (Hawkins) played with us at recess." Iris today at 86 lives in Polson at the assisted living center. Iris had a long association with Dayton and Proctor as her mother Sadie Parsons, was the first teacher in the original Dayton (now Proctor) community and her father H. H. Smith was on the Board of Trustees of that original Dayton School.
When Twilla Ober (later Walker) was in the first grade in 1937-38 with Mary Smalis as teacher, she remembers Miss Smalis taking a carful of students to Kalispell to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. She drew names to fill the car. Sisters Grace, Rose, and Twilla all went. Grace, now Mrs. Hartsoch, believes the teacher "fixed" the drawing as all the others that were not drawn had families with cars. Twilla has since bought the Snow White video because of the fond memories. Rose Ober graduated when Mary Smalis taught in 1937-38. Mary Smalis was courted on horseback by Trustee Chairman Rolland Tibbetts and soon married him teaching only the one year. Her eyes were bandaged for awhile but you still couldn't get away with anything because Miss Smalis could still see everything. Rose thinks all her teachers "were pretty good teachers. At 88 years of age Mary Smalis Tibbets wrote from Terry, Montana where she had grown up and taught before coming to Dayton. She and her husband moved back to eastern Montana in the spring of 1941 and raised their three sons who all ranch in the area.
Rose fondly remembers the annual school picnics held at the closing of school. They were held on the grounds of the Dew Drop Inn owned by the Lawrences. Grandfather Elmer Lawrence built the Dew Drop and several cabins. Son Jim Lawrence annually invited the Dayton children to that place on the lake for the picnic. Dayton teacher Louise Nelson Senft lived in one of the cabins the four years she taught at Dayton from 1931 to 1934 and the next three years that she taught at Big Arm. Mrs. Senft passed away in Sandpoint, Idaho in March of 1999 nearing her 90th birthday. That cabin she lived in exists on the Schultz property as the new Inn owners did not want the cabin and it was moved. Both the Ober family and Schultz family children attended Dayton schools.
Ethel Terry was county school superintendent from 1935 through 1942. From 1946 to 1952 she taught at Dayton. Mrs. Terry was teaching in 1950 when J. B. Kiracofe presented Big Arm, Dayton, Elmo, Proctor, and Rollins Eighth Grade Graduates their certificates at the ceremony held in Proctor. Dayton students recited "The Voice of America." Dayton graduates were: Dale Johnson, Al Nicholas, Gene Nicholas, Nancy Thomas, and Donna Violet. By 1952 Mrs. Terry had only one eighth grade graduate, Billy Proud, who recited "My Diploma." Ethel Terry was born August 2, 1893, in Fairplaine, Missouri where she received her formal education. She attended Morrisville College in Morrisville, Missouri, and received her teaching certificate. She moved to Kansas where she met and married Leon F. Terry on May 28, 1914. In 1936, the Terry's moved to Polson where she reside until her death in December of 1972. Ethel Terry also taught in Stevensville, Ferndale, and Elmo. She retired from teaching at Elmo in the 1960s.
Were there high school classes taught at Dayton? Yes, the records show that in 1914-15 Mr. A. W. Bagley taught the upper grades which included grade 9. It is known that adjoining Proctor School District #24 had a freshman class in 1926-27 when teacher Bessie Marble brought three Rollins students with her to teach at Proctor. Dayton too may have had other high school classes. By February 23, 1949 the districts along the west shore of Flathead Lake were consolidated to West Shore High School District No. 1. Yet no high school was ever held on the west shore once the district was formed. The consolidated districts shared transportation expenses for sending high school students to Polson. The West Shore High School District was annexed to Polson High School District No. 23, July 3, 1952 because "they did not operate a high school within the boundaries of their district." Since then all high school students have ridden Polson busses to high school.
Another small boundary issue occurred in 1954. Levi, Myrtle, and Richard Learn and C. R. Weaver petitioned to have their Dayton district property transferred to Proctor because the road they had to use to get to Dayton School went by the Proctor School first. County Superintendent Ina Mae Kain wrote in her unopposed order for the transfer that the petitioners were, "praying for withdrawal of said territory."
Harry Dwelle was a member of the Dayton school board from 1952 to 1955. Son Bill and his wife, Duskie, and sons Josh, Jeremy, and Justin, ranch and still live on the Dayton property. Duskie served as trustee from 1983 to 1994 when she resigned. She was by far the longest serving trustee in the district's history. For ten of those years Duskie was the board chairman. Duskie also served as clerk for over a year prior to joining the board. The district clerk Carol Brubaker Cunningham served the district consecutively since 1981 into 1999. That exceeded the longtime clerical service of Jack Meuli from 1967 to 1972 and even longer service of Mildred Williams from 1952 to 1964. Duskie Dwelle began again as district clerk following Carol Cunningham. The Meuli family has to have the record for service over the most generations as Jack's grandfather Mike Meuli served, his father Mel and mother Laura served, he served, and son Mike Meuli also served for the three years of 1993 to 1996. The people of the three communities loyally serve their schools.
The district ended as #38 to avoid conflicting with the Bigfork Joint District #38-J March 20, 1959. It became Dayton School District #36.
The Consolidation to Upper West Shore School District No. 33
Long time resident, trustee, and long time district clerk Jack Meuli reported that in 1964 the school boards of Dayton, Proctor and Rollins voted
to see if there was an interest in the community to consolidate, as all three schools were getting smaller (especially Rollins and Proctor). A vote of the people in each district was held. The people in Dayton voted to consolidate. Rollins voted against and Proctor voted almost 90 percent against.
In 1967 the boards of Dayton and Rollins voted to run the two schools together but not to consolidate. The lower grades (1-4) were in Rollins with two teachers and the upper grades in Dayton, also with two teachers. A bus ran between the two schools. Proctor still operated independently.
The consolidation topic was again brought up in 1972. Following action by each board and school district elections in each community, Proctor District #23, Rollins District #41, and Dayton District #36 consolidated officially July 1, 1972 into Upper West Shore Elementary School District #33. Glennadene Ferrell's draft news release prior to the elections stated:
Saturday, June 3, the electors of School Districts #24-Proctor, #36-Dayton, and #41-Rollins will go to the polls at their respective schoolhouses to cast their ballots for or against consolidation of the three districts. Glennadene Ferrell, Lake County Superintendent of Schools, states among the advantages of consolidation are simplified budgeting, and a reduction of property taxes for at least the three year State Consolidation payment period. But a greater advantage than either of these is assurance of a better education for the children of these districts for their first eight years of schooling, thereby enabling them to be better prepared when they leave the area for high school. Polls are open from noon to 8 PM.
The official election results show an extremely close election at both Rollins and Proctor with Dayton overwhelmingly carrying the election for consolidation. Votes were: Rollins 42 votes for and 38 against consolidation; Proctor with 30 votes for and 28 against consolidation; and Dayton with 27 votes for and none against consolidation. While the consolidation issue was long ago resolved, it is still an occasionally sensitive topic in the communities.
County Superintendent Ferrell appointed Mrs. Rose Schultz to be chairman of the trustees. Other trustees appointed by Mrs. Ferrell were: Gary Thomas and C. L. Fischer, Jr. All would serve until the school election of April, 1973. Mr. Thomas and Fischer and Daryl Proud became the 1973-74 trustees with Jack Meuli serving as district clerk throughout the consolidation. Funds were transferred from each district to the new district to total the following: General Fund- $24,430.50, Transportation - $6,336.78, Retirement - $927.72, and the Building Fund - $2,157. The School Lunch Fund was $1.17 in the red and the J.O.M. Reading Fund had a balance of $6.56. School was held in all three schools with one teacher teaching two or three grades in all three schools.
Lois Meuli taught throughout the transition amongst the three schools. Lois taught grades seven and eight at Dayton from 1967 to 1974, took off one year, and taught again from 1975 to 1980, teaching the middle grades four to six or four and five. In 1976 it was decided by the school board that it would be best to close the Proctor School and continue to operate the other two schools. There were two teachers in Dayton teaching grades 4 through 8 and one teacher in Rollins teaching grades one through three. Darris Flanagan was hired to teach the seventh and eighth grades following Lois Meuli and he stayed on through the 1977-78 school year. His second year at Dayton was the last year of school at Proctor. He remembered no problems on the transfer of students amongst the three schools. "It seemed smooth" and he thought the only reason the board voted to close Proctor was because it was getting "run down" and they wanted to save money operating the facility. He said the teachers (he and Lois Meuli) were happy to be together to share teaching duties. He taught grades seven and eight and Lois taught grades four through six while Wanda White taught the lower grades alone at Rollins. That pattern continued for three years. Darris Flanagan "loved teaching at Dayton." He said the students worked hard and scored high on achievement tests. He had two students who never missed a problem on the math portion. They had great field trips to Meuli's to look for arrowheads, watched the filming of Winterhawk, and went to Glacier Park. The only reason he moved on was a more than 37% salary increase offer. Obviously his enthusiasm for teaching was appreciated as District Clerk Dee Adams said he was the "neatest, most enthusiastic teacher ever!" She drove a station wagon full of the giggling girls on the field trip to Columbia Falls water slides when they watched the filming of Winterhawk. Dee's son Troy absolutely adored Mr. Flanagan. Darris coached the students in track and Mariea Schultz (now Johnson) went on to hold the Polson High School record in the 800 and 1600 for nearly ten years. Mr. Flanagan now teaches at Kalispell.
By 1979 enrollment had decreased to the point that Rollins too was closed with Dayton remaining open with two teachers. The district continues to operate as Upper West Shore Elementary School District #33 with school held at the Dayton school house. The other two school houses remain the property of the district and are well maintained by the communities to serve as community centers.
Linda Gore came to Dayton to teach in 1980 when Dayton was the only school in operation. Junior high and high school-age youngsters belong to the Polson High School district. Gore, who taught in a two-room rural school in eastern Montana right after graduating from college in Billings, said coming to Dayton in 1980 was like "coming home." The countryside is a bit different, the Sidney native said, but the extended family atmosphere was wonderful. Linda Gore's upper elementary students wrote histories of the Proctor, Dayton, and Rollins area in 1984 which later got published IN THE SHADOWS OF THE MISSIONS. While teaching Linda played the piano for every Christmas program and still plays for the yearly program. Gore taught in Dayton until her presence was required to take care of her seriously ill father and husband's mother, who moved from Colorado to be close to their son and family. Her parents have since passed away. In 1994, Gore was appointed to the school board. The following year, she was elected in her own right and still serves being again elected. Gore doesn't know if she'll run again. It's good and necessary work, she said. "But it isn't fun."
Casey Love was first hired to teach grades 4-6 at Dayton in 1992. This is his first teaching job; he received his bachelor's degree in December from Western Montana College. Love also has an associate degree in forestry from Flathead Valley Community College in Kalispell, and has worked for the U. S. Forest Service, and also as an electrician and carpenter. While earning his teaching degree, Love decided he would like to work at a rural school. "I like the opportunities that a small school provides," he says. Casey now teaches all grades at Dayton with the assistance of two aides. He has set up the technology system and has students actively using computers throughout the curriculum. The students researched their community and created the Dayton Map available at the school and local sites.
The new teacher at Dayton in 1995 for the primary grades kindergarten through third grade was Charles Apperson who stayed for two years before moving on:
A native of Biddle, Apperson previously taught K-3 at Biddle Elementary for two years before moving on to Joe (formerly Ismay), where he taught grades 4-8 at Whitney Creek and 1-8 at Trail Creek for one year each. He earned his elementary education degree at Montana State University and also has an associated arts degree, with an emphasis on land surveying, from Dawson Community College in Glendive. His hobbies include boating, tennis, and downhill skiing.
Since then declining enrollment has raised questions about the future of what is believed to be Montana's oldest continuously operating school. Trustees voted to retain only one teacher, Casey Love, for the two-room school for the 1997-98 school year. When Linda Gore began teaching in Dayton, the school had 30 pupils. By 1997 past year when she was a trustee, enrollment dropped to a dozen. Much of the year was spent with staff and trustees working to incorporate federal Chapter 1 entitlements into the whole school's curriculum. Federal funds pay for one aide and part of another one's salary. The lone teacher, Casey Love, has the assistance of two aides, both of whom he's worked with for several years. The student-teacher ratio should make up for lack of facilities found in larger schools, Gore believes. Another plus for the rural schools is their high ratio of computers to students with a well-trained teacher capable integrating modern technology and traditional instructional strategies. The school has successfully modernized.
But times are changing and rural schools are fading from the Montana landscape. While Gore isn't planning on being the part of the demise of Dayton School, she recognizes that it could happen. The small schools have consolidated because of economic necessity, she noted. The board's research concluded that becoming part of the Polson school district would quadruple the local property tax mill levy from 11 mills to about 44 mils, Gore said. The school board voted to run a mill levy to establish a building reserve fund of $20,000 over two years to maintain and repair the aging facility. Teacher Casey Love had spent considerable time that winter in the mud under the school fixing leaking plumbing. People attending the public meeting prior to the vote were mixed in their support for keeping the rural school but they are well aware of their tax advantage. The levy passed and the repairs were made.
Dayton and Valley View Elementary School staff, board representatives, and the county superintendent meet regularly with Polson School District #23 administrators and board to work out common transitional issues. So the outlying school district students, such as those from the West Shore, have priority if they wish to transfer to Polson elementary schools, but there isn't any assurance they will be accepted because growing school enrollment is becoming a critical issue in Polson. Gore said at least one youngster was denied entrance last year.. Still, the rural elementary population is dwindling. Ranchers and logging families in the area are ceasing to exist as the new generations leave for greener economic pastures. Others are finding it too difficult and expensive to commute to Kalispell or Polson to work, she said. One parent told her that it was easier to take her child to the town where she was employed than to leave the youngster at Dayton. Besides, there were more activities at the larger school even though the rural schools have more computer access and are on the Internet. Band and sports programs are hard to compete with. The district's bus driver retired at the end of the 1995-96 school year. The district couldn't find anyone wanting to bid on the route. As a result, parents are now responsible for getting the kids to school. Many aren't happy about that, even though they receive a transportation stipend to do so it's easier to bus the kids to Polson, Gore said. Closing Dayton School would be unfortunate, Gore believes. The rural school setting is really a marvelous educational setting, she said.
Dee Adams. Comments and memories.
Marion A. Branson, Education Field Agent. "Report to Indian Office relative to Public Schools to which tuition is paid from federal funds for Indian Children" called The Flathead Indian Reservation Report of 1935 original report in photo album format and loaned by the First Presbyterian Church of Polson, the Rev. John Dutzar to the Polson Public Library. Copy Negatives and prints owned by Lake County Country School Historians. "Glimpse of 1935 Schools Given in Old Scrapbook" article on the report in the Flathead Courier, September 13, 1979, pp. 14 and 15.
Chief Cliff Country, Representing the communities of Rollins, Dayton, Proctor, Elmo, and Big Arm, published by the Chief Homemakers: 1990. pp. 84, 97-98, 100.
Dayton Students of 1991. Class of John "Jack" Ward. Research on the school's age in comparison to other Montana country schools still operating. Includes series of letters to the County Superintendents.
Darris Flannigan. Memories, slides, and pictures from his years as teacher from 1974-75 through 1977-78.
Paul Fugleberg. "Country Schools 1962" and "Dayton," Proud Heritage: an Illustrated History of Lake County, the Lower Flathead, Mission and Jocko Valleys, 1997, pp. 168, 209.
Linda Gore. Articles and input on Dayton from viewpoint of long time teacher and current trustee serving as chairperson.
Grace Ober Hartsoch of Polson. Memories and pictures.
Lake County LEADER. Articles and Pictures.
Lake County Superintendent of Schools. Muriel Hamman letter from her office dated June 11, 1956 to Mr. C. E. Naugle of Bigfork concerning the high schools of Lake County. Letter of report identifying Lake County High School Districts formed by County Superintendent Ina Mae Kain to Helena, May 4, 1953. Order creating School District No. 33 and appointing trustees June 14, 1972 by Glennadene Ferrell. Also draft news release concerning consolidation elections. Official Register of a Election Records for the three districts June 3, 1972.
Gail Lewis. 1952 Graduation Program.
Scott Lindgren. "New Teachers Welcomed" article in the Lake County Leader. 1995.
J. F. McAlear. --Dayton-- in The Fabulous Flathead. Published by The Reservation Pioneers, Inc., 1962. Pp. 208-210.
Jack and Lois Meuli. Picture collection and recall of district clerk records and board actions.
REGISTER OF SCHOOL OFFICERS & TEACHERS . Teacher Certificate Cards, and Student Records from the Office of the Lake County Superintendent of Schools and the Flathead County Superintendent of Schools.
Mindy Schultz. Comments, memories, pictures, and assistance with identifications.
Rose Ober Schultz. Memories as told to Joyce Decker Wegner in April, 1999 and Picture Collection.
Louise Elizabeth Senft Obituary. Lake County Leader, April 1, 1999.
Inez Siegrist and the Publication Committee. "H. H. Smith" written by Iris Smith Hawkins and "The Terry Family" written by Charlotte Terry Powell in In the Shadows of the Missions. Wesley Torgerson, 6th grade student writer, "Dayton", Mission Valley News: Ronan, MT, 1986. p. 178, 190.
"Mrs. Ethel Terry Dies Sunday; Funeral Services Set for Today" obituary. Flathead Courier. December 21, 1972.
Frankie Thompson Proud "Frank Thompson and Roy Proud Families" in Chief Cliff Country published by Chief Cliff Homemakers, 1990, p. 98.
Mary Smalis Tibbetts. Letter of September 10, 1999 to Joyce Decker Wegner seeking names of students on picture.
Glen Timm. "Dayton School Faces Uncertain Future," Lake County Leader. June 19, 1997.
Twilla Ober Walker. Memories shared with the Lake County Superintendent 1999 and 2000.
Julie Young. "Country Schools: Four New Teachers Arrive" article in Lake County Leader. September 3, 1992.
LEGAL SUMMARY of DAYTON SCHOOL DISTRICT #38
Dayton School District #38 description: Beginning at a point where the north reservation line intersects the west shore of Flathead Lake; thence west about five and one-half miles through the center line of Section 32, Township 25, Range 21; thence south to the northeast corner of the southeast quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 32, Township 25, Range 21; thence west one-quarter mile; thence north to the reservation line; thence west on said line to the northwest corner of Section 31, Township 25, Range 22; thence south to the north boundary line of township 24; thence east to the northwest corner of Section 6, Township 24, Range 22; thence south three miles to the southwest corner of Section 18, same township and range; thence east three miles; thence north two miles to the northwest corner of Section 10; thence east four miles; thence south one mile to the southwest corner of Section 8, Township 24, Range 21; thence east one mile; thence south about one mile to the lake shore; thence following the lake shore to the place of beginning and also including Wild Horse and Wild Goose Islands, the original boundaries of District 38 being altered by the creation of Districts 40 (Battle Butte), 42 (Loon Lake), 64 (Matt), and 22 (Elmo).
Transfer from this district to Big Arm School District No. 65: Lot 1, Section 24 and Lot 1, Section 25, Township 24 N, Range 21 W of Wild Goose Island.
Consolidated to West Shore High School District No. 1, February 23, 1949. Annexed to Polson High School District No. 23, July 3, 1952.
Annexed to Proctor School District No. 24, February 27, 1954: Sections 31, 32, and 33, Township 25 N, Range 21 W.
DAYTON SCHOOL DISTRICT #36 began March 20, 1959. The change of district number from #38 to #36 was due to the confusion of Bigfork School District No. 38J, a joint district of both Flathead and Lake Counties.
Dayton School District #36 description as of 1961: Beginning at the meander corner between fractional Sections 16 and 17, Township 24 N, Range 21 W; thence north a fractional part of a mile to the northwest corner of Section 16; thence west 1 mile; thence north 1 mile; thence west four miles to the northeast corner of Section 9, Township 24 N, Range 22 W; thence south 2 miles; thence west 3 miles to the southwest corner of Section 18, Township 24 N, Range 22 W; thence north 3 miles to the northeast corner of Section 6, Township 24 N, Range 22 W; thence west a fractional part of a miles to the southwest corner of Section 31, Township 25 N, Range 22 W; thence north to a point on the west boundary of Section 31 where the Flathead Indian Reservation boundary intersects therewith; thence east along said boundary 6 miles; thence south a fractional part of a mile to the southeast corner of Section 36, Township 24 N, Range 22 W; thence east 3 miles to the southeast corner of Section 33, Township 25 N, Range 21 W; thence north a fractional part of a mile to a point where the Flathead Indian Reservation boundary intersects with the east boundary of Section 33; thence east along said boundary approximately 4.1 miles to a point where said boundary intersects with the meander line of Flathead Lake; thence along said meander line to the point of beginning. This includes Wild Horse and Cromwell Islands.
Letter February 8, 1972: State Superintendent approved Dayton School District No. 36 as a portion of Polson High School District No. 23.
UPPER WEST SHORE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT #33 was formed through consolidation of School Districts 24 (Proctor), 36 (Dayton), and 41 (Rollins), July 1, 1972.
District #33 description as of July 1, 1972: Beginning at the meander corner common to Section 4, Township 25 N, Range 20 W, P.M., and Section 33, Township 26 N, Range 20 W, P.M., then along the boundary between Township 25 N and Township 26 N for fourteen and about one-fourth miles to the Northwest Corner of Section 6, Township 25 N, Range 22 W, P.M.; thence south six miles to the southwest corner of Section 31, Township 25 N, Range 22 W, P.M.; thence east sixty-five one-hundredths of a mile; thence south three miles to the southwest corner of Section 18, Township 24 N, Range 22 W, P.M.; thence east three miles; thence north two miles; thence east four miles to the northeast corner of Section 7, Township 24 N, Range 21 W, P.M.; thence south one mile; thence east one mile; thence south about seventy-two one-hundredths of a mile to the meander corner common to Section 16 and Section 17,
Township 24 N, Range 21 W, P.M., on the shoreline of Flathead Lake; thence easterly and northerly along the shoreline of Flathead Lake to the place of beginning at the meander corner common to Section 4, Township 25 N, Range 20 W, P.M.. Also: Wildhorse Island and Cromwells Island in Township 24 N, Range 20 W and Township 24 N, Range 21 W.
Letter November 17, 1975: State Superintendent recognizes Upper West Shore School District No. 33 as a portion of Polson High School District No. 23.